Savannah Slavery to Freedom Tour
Featuring Master Gullah Geechee Truth-Teller ‘Sistah Patt’
- Child Ages 3 to 12
Embark on a remarkable journey of Savannah’s past with the Savannah Slavery to Freedom Tour featuring Savannah’s own Master Gullah Geechee Truth-Teller ‘Sistah Patt’
This is a mesmerizing tour of the African American journey from slavery to freedom during the Antebellum days (1748-1864) on the coast of Savannah.
- The tour begins aboard a Gray Line vehicle before embarking on a 60-minute guided walking tour along River Street, Factor’s Walk, Bay Street, and Johnson Square.
- Learn about the history of the West African tribes that were routed to Savannah and used in slave labor to build the warehouses along River Street.
- See where cotton was shipped out to the United Kingdom and storages that look similar to ‘slave holding bins’ in Ghana, Senegal, Gambia, and Benin, West Africa.
- Stand where slaves were auctioned off in Johnson Square.
- Learn about the incredible journey to freedom as you board the vehicle and travel past the Second African Baptist Church.