Experience the rich history and unique charm of Beaufort, SC, a Lowcountry gem deemed “The South’s Best Small Town,” by Southern Living. Tucked into winding Antebellum streets framed by centuries-old, moss-draped live oak trees, Historic Beaufort has charmed visitors since 1512.
As we journey from Savannah, our seasoned guide shares stories highlighting the history of the colonies in the Lowcountry. Once in Beaufort, we’ll begin with a 2 hour fully narrated overview of historic downtown with its stunning Civil War era Antebellum homes and churches and visit a few sites from notable films (The Big Chill, Forrest Gump and The Prince of Tides). Next, as a special opportunity exclusive to our tour, we venture to the tabby ruins on Sams Plantation on Dataw Island to learn about the Reconstruction Era and Gullah Geechee culture. Next, we visit the National Cemetery - the resting place for both Confederate and Union soldiers who lost their lives in the Civil War, and also the resting place of many Medal of Honor recipients and fallen soldiers from US conflicts throughout history.
Enjoy lunch on your own at one of the many delicious restaurants in the waterfront district followed by free time to further explore and/or shop downtown Beaufort.
After lunch, we’ve arranged several optional add-ons during your free time. Take advantage of discounted tickets for the Kazoo Factory -- the only plastic kazoo factory in the US – for a behind-the-scenes tutorial on kazoo production and the chance to make one yourself! Or climb aboard a boat for a Beaufort River tour, an excellent way to explore Beaufort’s natural beauty. If you’d like to linger in Historic Beaufort, consider a horse drawn carriage tour or visit the Santa Elena History Center to learn the real saga of Santa Elena, the first European settlement in North America, founded in 1566. History buffs may be interested in the Verdier House Museum, which served as the Federal Headquarters during the Civil War.
We can’t wait to show you Beaufort, a charming seaside community bursting with fascinating stories, culture, and beauty.
- Adults $69.00 (13 and up) and Children $49.00 (12 and under).
- Departs from the Savannah Visitors Center at 301 Martin Luther King Blvd.
- Please call Gray Line Savannah (912)964-8989 to confirm your reservation and pick up location 24 hours before your tour departure time to arrange your pick up time.
- Gray Line Savannah offers a departure time: 8:45 a.m. only.
- Tours depart on time and the time on your voucher and is the full length of your tour
- Call (912)964-8989 or Email [email protected]
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.